I have always said I’m not creative, I just copy what other people do. Lately I have been in love with Life in The Bird House blog. I can identify with Payton (what an adorable name…) in so many ways. I love her transparency. And I love her “10 on Tuesday” posts. So, since her idea doesn’t seem to be any kind of meme, I thought I’d borrow it. And then I worry that that’s bad blogger etiquette. Is it? Some kind of blog plagiarism? If so, tell me. Maybe I should do “13 on Thursday” instead? But today I’m going to follow Payton’s lead and jot down 10 random stream of consciousness thoughts.
1. I’m an insecure blogger. The reason I don’t blog more often is for 2 reasons. 1, time. I often open the wordpress window with every intention of posting and find it still open the next day with no post, because time just gets away from me and there is some urgent interruption like a potty training 2 year old with “I do it myself” syndrome. The other reason is that I’m so scared of appearing arrogant, like this young pup who thinks I have something so profound to say that I must share it with the world. I remind myself that I try not to come across that way, and that most of my favorite blogs that minister to me the most are written by people in their 30’s and 40’s, but it doesn’t seem to do any good. Every few months I promise to do better, but clearly it hasn’t worked yet. I love writing and I love to blog, but my insecurities get in the way, I guess.
2. A sweet new little person joined our family recently. For the 1 or 2 of you who don’t know me IRL, this is our 5th precious baby. Lots of snuggling going on around here these days. No wonder I don’t have time to blog.
3. I’m very private, probably another reason I’m not a “successful” blogger. I don’t share many personal details of my life online with people I don’t know. I love to read the blogs of people who tell all the personal details of their lives and share beautiful pictures of their families, but that will never be me. Oh well.
4. I love winter. Everyone around me is looking forward to spring and I’m wishing winter would stay around awhile longer. Almost every day my kids ask, “How many more weeks till summer?” I’m raising such warm-weather kids. Make that hot weather, since it’s scorching where I live about 9 months out of the year. It’s one of the few drawbacks to my location.
5. A couple blogs I have been loving lately, besides Life in the Bird House.
Keep it Simple, Keep it Fresh is her tagline. Love it! And she has a great story of a restored marriage.
Encouragement…And a beautiful family.
6. It’s harder than I thought to come up with 10 things.
7. My kids pooled their Christmas money and got a Wii on sale. Great investment. It puts the toddler to sleep. We also got 2 beagle puppies at Christmas, really not as a gift, we had been thinking about getting them and they became available at that time. Such a joy! God knew exactly the right dogs for our family. The 2 year old is especially completely in love.
8. I have been thinking a lot about raising a large family successfully, since we are now officially a large family. I have been listening quietly to a lot of young people who grew up in large families and were very hurt by some of the dynamics of those families. How can I avoid those pitfalls? My husband is so wonderful about striving to parent intentionally. One of the mistakes made most often by large families is to fall into the trap of just surviving, rather than parenting with intentionality, I think. At least that is what I see, and that is what I am tempted to do sometimes. Of course there are wonderful large families too, who manage to nurture all their children well. That’s the kind of family I want us to be.
9. Sugar is getting the boot at our house, now that Valentine’s Day is over. I have a sick one today, which just reaffirms my commitment to better eating habits. Besides, it’s time to think about losing baby weight.
10. We have several potted citrus trees in our yard waiting to be put in the ground. I can hardly wait. They are such pretty trees, and it will be awesome to have our own fruit all winter. I can almost taste them now!
Yay, I came up with 10!