Since you don’t have the rich taste of butter and cream or milk in dairy-free soups, it’s important to substitute ingredients that will add lots of flavor! Onions, chicken broth, and bits of meat help in this recipe. I’m sure there are lots of other flavorful ingredients you could add! I think thyme would be yummy if your family likes it. (I do, my kids don’t!)
Another nice seasoning is Canadian Chicken Seasoning. I get it at Sam’s Club.
Creamy Dairy-Free Potato Soup
8 medium potatoes
½ c. olive oil
1 carrot, grated
1 small onion, chopped fine
½ c. flour
½ c. rice milk (optional)
1 large box Swanson’s chicken broth, or equivalent homemade broth
Cooked, chopped chicken or sausage—as much as you like (optional)
1 T dried parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel and cube potatoes. Boil till tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Saute carrot and onion in oil till tender. Remove veggies and set aside. Save the oil!
3. Now you’re ready to make your creamy soup base. Heat oil and whisk in flour. Quickly add optional rice milk (it makes it look a little creamier) and/or broth and whisk out any lumps. Cook over medium-low heat till thick and bubbly.
4. Take half the cooked potatoes and puree them in the blender with 1 cup water. Stir into broth mixture.
5. Add onion/carrot mixture, potatoes, parsley, salt, pepper, and meat, if desired. Heat on low till everything is warm.